So occasionally (and by occasionally, I mean…well…almost daily), I like to make things with bacon.
Those of you who know me (or who have heard me speak) know that bacon often makes its way into conversation with me. I like to serve it at dinner parties, coat it in chocolate, post recipes involving bacon. In short, I ♥ bacon. For my birthday this year, I offered a prize on my Facebook page for “the most creative, dramatic, impressive Facebook birthday wishes.” Totally self-serving? Perhaps. Shameless plug for my own birthday? Absolutely. But my amazing friends took the bait and came up with some spectacular stuff…most of which involved – what else? – bacon. For example, one of my favorites is my friend in Nashville, Tennessee, John G. Brittle, Jr., of the Infill Nashville team – he cooked up a 2-pound bacon birthday greeting for me and delivered it via YouTube. I could practically taste the cracklin’, sizzlin’ birthday love.
Others employed their adorable children, the (original) cast of 90210, gangsta rap, and more. My friend, Sean Carpenter, even disrespected his own Gator roots to give me a good old FSU Seminole chop (on video – I have the proof!). And to keep my promise, I locked myself in my kitchen for a weekend, coming up with a sufficiently succulent prize to send around the country to my amazing friends who stepped up and played along. Since The King passed away one week before my birthday (well, technically, one week before I turned two, but in August, so I make the loose connection and call it close enough), I decided that an Elvis-inspired cookie was the way to go.Legend has it that Elvis enjoyed a unique combination of peanut butter, banana and bacon as a sandwich, but doesn’t it sound much more amazing as a cookie? And the addition of chocolate chips is my twist, but isn’t everything better with chocolate?
Here’s the recipe, for your enjoyment. Beware: you will sample the raw dough, salivate through the baking time, and most likely eat the entire first batch you make, all by yourself, hiding in the laundry room or pantry where the rest of your household can’t find you. Not that I know from experience. I’m just guessing…
Elvis Cookies (a.k.a., Peanut Butter-Banana-Bacon-Chocolate-Chip Goodies) [adapted from peanut butter banana chocolate chip cookies]
makes about 18-20 cookies
- 12 ounces bacon, chopped into 1/4 inch dice
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon hickory-smoked salt (I get mine from Trader Joe’s)
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted* and cooled
- 1/2 cup bacon grease, chilled
- 6 tablespoons of creamy peanut butter, melted* and episode passes cooled
- 1 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons bourbon vanilla extract (I also get this from Trader Joe’s)
- 2 teaspoons bourbon (good quality, please!)
- 2 ripe medium bananas, mashed
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (or dark chocolate chunks, coarsely chopped)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chips (like Reese’s)